Wednesday, May 30, 2012

When do you Grocery Shop?

There really is no right or wrong answer to this question, unless you say whenever I need something! Studies show that even if we go into the store with the mindset that we just need the 1 gallon of milk, we on average will walk out with 5 or more items totaling more then $20. So your 1 gallon of milk just cost your budget $17 that you didn't intend. If you break that down to one extra trip a week across one year, you just spent $884 a year more then what you had intended. Think of what you could do with $880 across a year. That could be your car insurance for a year! So how do you cut that out? Here are some shopping trip tips that I have been using and stick to!

Set a Date!
 I set a date to do my shopping each week. I really like Sunday or Monday, but that doesn't have to be your day. If Friday works best for you, then set that as your day. Then stick with it! If you shop according to your date and your menu plan you will find that you won't need those extra trips because you have purchased based on your weekly needs. I like to even schedule it as a set time...I know its not necessary to do this, but I find that if I have it down as a 'date' then I feel more motivated to get to it and get it done. Plus have you ever tried shopping at stores at various times during the day. There are times that the store is packed and times that it practically empty....I prefer the empty times! By sticking with my dates, then I ensure that I hit those times and don't feel rushed to get out of any aisle or through the checkout so I can make sure I am getting the best deal!


Plan Ahead!
 By planning ahead and making a list based on your menu and your coupons, you will spend less! This is why I tend to shop on Sunday's and Monday's because I have just gotten my paper with the ads and coupons. This way I know I am getting the best deals possible. Also by having a list, you don't need to stress over 'do I have that or not in the pantry'...because when we do, we tend to err on the side of getting the item just in case. Thus adding items to our cart that are unnecessary and busting our budgets.

So what should be on your list? I include on my list the grocery items that I need based on my menu and my coupons. I try to organize my list based on the order of the store...this way I am not running back and forth trying to get everything. This is a good reason to have a notebook with your coupon binder...write down the aisle headers so that you can know your store in and out! Once I put the items on the list, I also write down the cost in the ad and if I have the coupon. Mine show C for coupon, SC for Stacked Coupons, C+G for Coupon with Giftcard (Target always have certain items that if you purchase X amount of the items you get a giftcard). I also include at the bottom of my list the meals I am making for the week.

Once you have your list, stick to it as best you can! By sticking to your list you are able to not only save money, but also time. You won't be wandering up and down aisles trying to decide what you need, or what you want for dinner this week. Now with saying that, there are a few times to stray...but only if its a budget saver not a budget blower. Example: You are planning on having lasagna this week for dinner, your list includes 1lb of hamburger which is $3.98 a lb. When going to pick up that hamburger you find that 1lb of ground turkey is on sale for $2.98. Since this is a great swap...stray! You just saved your budget $1 but stuck to the meal plan and list!

Pay Attention!
 Here are some things that I always try to pay attention to when making my list and filling my pantry. First pay attention to how fast you are going through staple items such as milk, eggs, bread, and so on. This way you will know that 3 gallons of milk will be enough for 1 week, or 1 dozen eggs will last a week. By knowing what your family needs you can always be stocked and save extra trips to the store.

 Also pay attention to the sales at the store. I like to make note of when high priced items go on sale...like meat, cheese, and cereal. These are items that we can always use but add up quickly! By watching when they are on sale and not, I can find the pattern the store has so I can plan accordingly!

 Lastly, pay attention when you are at the store. This is why I like to go when the store is least busy so I can take the time to find out the unit costs and compare, without worrying that I am always in someones way. I like to check how much the price is per ounce or unit...this way I can ensure I get the best deal.

Set a Budget!
 My last tip is to set a budget, for your week, month, and year. Start small, set a goal for your weekly groceries, and go from there. For us, I set my goal to spend $55 or less per week on groceries. Everything left over from the $55 goes into a jar in our room for a trip we are saving for. By knowing that I only have $55 to spend I make sure to keep track of what goes in my cart...plus by knowing all the extra left over goes towards my trip encourages me to stick to the budget and list that much more!

I hope you take these tips and start using them in your weekly grocery routine! You will find that they add up to some pretty awesome savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment