Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pizza Freezer Burritos

In the morning, you have more things on your mind then what am I going to pack for lunch! So why not make that decision a little easier? I recommend having a freezer stocked with ready to grab lunches that are quick and easy. I am not talking about the boxed freezer meals you buy at the store...these are way better and plus nicer on the pocket book! I have many variations but here is our family's current favorite:


PIZZA FREEZER BURRITOS:
2 Jars Pizza Sauce (or 3-4 cups homemade marinara sauce)
3 Cups Uncooked Rice (I didnt use instant but you can, just adjust cooking time)
1 pkg Turkey Pepperoni
1 Cup browned Italian Sausage (I like Johnsonvilles Chicken & Pork)
12 Tortillas
1 bag Shredded Mozz Cheese
Favorite Pizza toppings if wanted (diced green peppers, onions, mushrooms, ect)


Pour jar of pizza sauce (or half of your marinara sauce) into pot along with the jar refilled with water 2x. (three jars worth of sauce and water). Bring to a boil and add rice. Stir well and reduce heat to simmer (I shut the burner off) and cover. I stir occassionally to prevent sticking. Let cook for 20 mins. When finished let rice completly cool.

After letting cool, add remaining sauce to rice mixture...this is a new step, we found it just added so much more flavor to the burritos!

Next is making the burritos!


I set up as an assembly line and get everything ready to go so I can crank them all out at once! I rip out 12 pieces of aluminum foil that are slightly bigger then the tortilla shells. I prefer heavy duty aluminum foil, but havent found a big difference between Renyolds vs Target Brand. Then it is time to assemble! I use a large spoon and place about 3 scoops of rice in the middle of the tortilla, and layer the desired toppings. You can do what ever toppings you like, even customize each one based on your families needs!

After filling you will want to start the wrapping process. This isn't tough but you will want to make sure you do it right so it freezes well and doesn't fall apart! To start you will fold the sides in over the filling:


Next start at the bottom of the tortilla and roll forward, making sure to tighten the tortilla around your filling:


Then start wrapping the foil around the burrito, I start from the sides and then the bottom like I did with the tortilla itself:


Then you simply roll them tight, and lable them. I use a marker to write whats in them! I line them up on a sheet pan in one level and place in the freezer to freeze overnight. Once fully frozen I place them in a large ziplock bag labeled with the type of burrito and the dates.

When the hunger strikes you, simply take the burrito out of the freezer and heat. If your burrito has defrosted in your lunch box, remove from foil, and micro on high for 2 mins and turning after one minute. If it is frozen, unwrap and microwave for 4 minutes again flipping after each minute. You can also bake these to reheat, 350 degrees for 30-35 mins should get them nice and toasty!







No comments:

Post a Comment