Thursday, May 24, 2012

DIY Weekly Menu Board

I am all about saving where I can, so when I wanted to add a weekly menu board to my kitchen I made it myself! Sure I could have easily went to the store and bought one that would work just as well, but I figured why not save that money, make it myself and have it be exactly what I wanted!!

To make my board I decided what style I was looking for and an approximate size. Then the search was on to find something that I could upcycle into the perfect menu board. I tried to think outside of the box and figure out what would work best. Then after adding a pin to Pinterest about putting chalk board paint on the inside of your cabinet doors to organize your cabinets, it just hit me! Use a full cabinet door for the board! Since my hubby works at Menards I figured I would go check out their bargin areas for a returned or damaged doors, but unfortunately there were none available at that time. So off I went...to the goodwill, rummages, and finally IKEA's As-Is section! There in all its glory was this large cabinet door...the front was in perfect shape, but the whole cut on the back for the hardware to mount it had cracked. Well obviously it was not suitable for hanging on a cabinet base any longer, but it will do perfectly for what I needed...BONUS it was only $9.75! Thats right, $9.75 for a solidwood cabinet door that was in great condition without any touch ups!

Now that I had the door I simply got the few extras that I needed to create my board. The best part, most of the items we already had around the house! Here is what I used:

Cabinet Door
Chalkboard Paint
Paint Roller
Sandpaper
Painters Tape
Picture Hanger Clips

To get the best finish when repainting or finishing a project always make sure to sand the area that you want to finish. This will ensure your paint will adhere correctly and smoothly! For my board I wanted just the inner panel of the door to be chalkboard paint to the remainder would frame it out and look nicely finished.

1. I taped off the area that I wanted to paint. Make sure to use a high quality painters tape...this ensures a tight seal and no leaks!


2. Sand the desired area to rough up the surface. It doesn't take much time, and it doesn't need to be sanded down to the the wood...just enough to remove the top poly coat.

3. Paint on your chalkboard paint. I did several coats and made sure to smooth over each coat before letting it dry. This ensured a smooth writing surface for my completed board.

4. After fully dried remove the painters tape and add the Photo Hanger Clips on the back. Since my board is a solid wood cabinet door, I used 2 clips to help distribute the weight!


Tada, my board was complete! This can be used for so many things beyond just a menu board so feel free to jazz it up to fit what you need!


Hope you start watching the As-Is sections and rummages and upcycle your own boards and start organizing our life in a pretty fashion!



No comments:

Post a Comment