Friday, June 22, 2012

10 Super Foods

Whether you want to look good for swimsuit season, get into that super cute pair of jeans, or just drop a pant size...we need to remember that 80% of our success is based in the kitchen and not the gym. Yes, I said the kitchen! No matter how hard you bust your butt in the gym...its still gonna jiggle if you are feeding the wrong foods!

So, what should you feed your body to make sure you aren't destroying your hard work in the gym? Thats where your Super Foods come into play. These are foods that easy-to-eat and full of the nutrients you need to stay healthy. By keeping these items in your kitchen you are going to set yourself up for success. I bet you are dying to know what these super foods are aren't you?!? Well here you go:

I got this list from WebMD.com where they give an in depth reasoning for them being a Super Food:

1. Low-Fat or Fat-Free Plain Yogurt. I like Greek yogurt because of the creamier texture and high amounts of protein. Plus I love how versatile it is in the kitchen. I use it in my smoothies/shakes in the morning, with fruit and honey for a snack, or on top of tacos or enchiladas like sour cream.

2. Eggs. I love to always have hard boiled eggs on hand because they are a quick and easy snack that is packed with protein, low in fat and calories, and just plain tasty! You can make easy omelets, scrambled eggs, and quiches that are all quick and good for you.

3. Nuts. Although they are high in fats, they are good fats that our body really needs. A totally fat-free diet is not good for us. They are great as a snack or to add into your main meal as an alternate source of protein. I like to always have almonds on hand at our house so I can grab some quick or add them to a salad for some crunch.

4. Kiwis. They are full of nutrients and antioxidants, plus super tasty! They are great to eat alone, but also work great in your morning smoothies. Because they can go bad quickly I like to slice them and lay them out on a lined baking sheet and freeze them. After they are frozen I place them in a ziplock bag that I keep in the freezer so I can quick grab a few slices and toss them in my smoothies. I also will toss a few in my water bottle to add a little extra flavor.

5. Quinoa. This is a new super food for me. I have recently started eating this and I am loving it. First it is gluten free which is great for those with Celiac or any other gluten related allergies. Second, it is very versitle and can easily be made to be sweet or savory. You can use it as a side dish, add it to a wrap, or make it a center of your entree.

6. Beans.  Beans are usually not on the top of most peoples lists of favorite foods, but trust me they are soo good! You can do so many things with beans! I love them in salads, mexican food, wraps, and even desserts! Yes, I said desserts! I love Black Bean Brownies...you would never guess that they are even in the brownies! Plus added bonus, they are super cheap which is nice on the budget. I recommend getting dried beans so they are easily shelf stable and making them up as you need.

7. Salmon. Now that it is grilling season, this is a great food to have in your diet. You can easily grill it up and make a super delish meal. But remember you can easily make it in the kitchen all year round so don't forget to keep it on your grocery list!

8. Broccoli. Whether its fresh or frozen, broccoli is an amazing food for you. You can eat it raw with a little dipping sauce (use greek yogurt with ranch seasoning to cut out some of the fat and calories and add extra protein), or bake it, broil it, and stir fry it!

9. Sweet Potatoes. These root vegetables are packed with all sorts of amazing nutrients for your body. They are so easy to transform into so many things so you should always have them on hand. Next time at the grocery store grab these instead of standard white potatoes. You can bake them and grill them in wedges for yummy healthy 'fries', or mash into yummy healthy mashed potatoes. I like to also cut them into small chunks and broil them with a little salt and pepper and add them to a salad.

10. Berries. Ok...what is not to love about berries? Low calories, full of antioxidants, and high in
fiber...yes please! And really there is not much you can't do with berries. Just remember nature has already made them sweet, so they dont need a lot of extra sweetners added to them!

Now you have the list...so add them to your grocery list! You can easily add all of these items into your monthly meal planning, and not break the budget so get on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment