Monday, October 1, 2012

Just take a chance and try it!

I have been so busy lately that I have been horrible at posting, but I am back and I have a list of things to post about! Such as today's post! With a blog about changing your path in life and how to survive it, I figured I needed to live the lessons of my blog.

We tend to get ourselves in ruts that are just easier to live with then break, but these ruts can be damaging to us whether its emotionally, physically, or even budget wise. So sometimes we just need to take that chance and try something different even if it doesn't feel normal! Today I took that chance and was shocked at how well it turned out for me! In the past last 3-4 months I have been so consumed with my brothers wedding(which was amazing!), getting things ready for preschool, and helping with the rush of Cornhole Boards that I just was going through my monthly and weekly grocery motions and not finding more savings. Well with the amazing news about my husbands new promotion we got last week, I was forced to rethink the budget due to the increase of drive time and gas he will have.

To cover this new increase in our budget, I wanted to see if I could shave $10 off my weekly grocery budget to cushion the gas budget. So I set a goal to get the full weeks worth of groceries for less then $40! I was determined to do it and figured if I really wanted to amp it up, I needed to take a chance! I had the afternoon free since the girls were in preschool so I figured I would go a little out of my way and try a new grocery store. I am an avid couponer and budgeter so I am pretty familiar with prices of the items we like to get, plus I was equipped with the Sunday ads from other stores so I knew what price ranges I wanted to beat. With all this on my side I figured it was safe to jump head first and try a new store. I am so glad I did! Not only did I get everything on my list, but I also got 4 pears, 3lbs of apples, 2 avocados, 2lbs of red grapes, and an 8pk of Fruit & Veggie juice boxes....final total....$31.86! YES!! Not only did I come in $8.14 under my new budget, but I also got extra produce that I hadn't planned on! BONUS!!

So I know this isn't a scary jump or a big change, but it was a change that I was anxious to make. Now I am kicking myself for not trying this earlier! Sometimes we need to take those little steps to help make the bigger ones a little easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment